Yesterday for P-day, we went to an amusement park called the efteling. For pictures, go to my drop box. There were some really cool rides! My favorites were one which drops straight down, then throws you up again for a loop, then a couple more, then a cork screw. Before all of that, you get taken through this sort of haunted mine area with cool effects. Another really cool one was the flying dutchman, a pirate ride kind of like the disneyland pirates ride, but of course on a smaller scale also with more rollercoaster elements. I was pretty impressed and had a great time! It didn't cost a whole lot either, about forty euros, plus a member gave us a ticket. The lines were also minimal. Lots of missionaries went. We took a bus, a train, and then our bikes, changed, and went to a lesson with our investigator. She's doing well and learning a little more every time. We talked about baptism some more, she sounds like she would like to be baptized into our church, but once again the discussion changed gears right before I could ask if that is something she would like to do. The good thing is, we talked about how God confirms to us when we are on the right path. She says meaningful prayers most nights from what it sounds like and she believes strongly that she is heard and says she feels comfort from that. I can't remember many investigators I've seen that have told us of experiences with prayer like that! Prayer is how we can receive personal revelation, which, in everyday and also more practical terms, is how we receive direction, comfort and assurance from our Heavenly Father. From what I've experienced and from what I've heard from most people, the most common personal revelation we receive is simply an almost untraceable yet real and effective perception of assurance and peace of mind that what we're doing is good. I think this is great: I know that since now is the time to learn and grow and make our own choices that our Heavenly Father, although he will let us know anything that we really sincerely desire, we will find that it is actually because God loves us that he doesn't tell us in that way (I mean through some sort of thought or feeling) everything that we need to do.
That is the glory of this life on earth! Through the restoration of the gospel we understand exactly under which conditions we find ourselves.
We are free to choose and move about according to our own free will.
Since we children of God and have lived with him before, and since we are still connected to him, it is in our nature to know what will bring us happiness. If we seek him, we will receive more light to guide our path.
The Savior's atonement will right all wrongs and set all of our mistakes back in order. I love the scripture in which Lehi tells his son Jacob that the Lord will consecrate all of his afflictions for his gain (fun fact, see the ambiguity in "his"? Dutch has a lot of pronouns, including a possesive pronoun which indicates "whose" "what" we're talking about. There's Zijn (= his i.e. the object belonging to the subject of the sentence) and Diens (=the object belonging to another (perhaps being defined by being the most recently mentioned, or perhaps being defined by some other designation which I don't have the time to determine) object/person)). We will, however, need to learn to love the good and reject evil, only then will we be free from our sins.
That is a brief, rough draft expression of what the plan of salvation means to me. I don't have the time now to complete it, some of those thoughts were incompletely expressed, but the original source them is my testimony which is growing. This is good practice, it is very important for me to learn how to explain the gospel in my own words, especially choosing words which everyone will understand. The gospel means more and more to me every day! I love it.
Other events this week included:
Two first lessons! One young mom let us in when we knocked on her door, the other was someone we came back to who had told us to come another time. She had done some research and said reacted positively to the restoration, although it's not quite as clear as the ideal situation would be what the restoration really means to her now, which is typical since we missionaries have a lot to learn, naturally. But, we'll follow up soon!
Gave about quite a few copies of the Book of Mormon, one to a lady who was really nice and listened to us (not too common) and then told us that her husband had recently said something about the
Book of Mormon.
Had two exchanges, both in Roosendaal.
Hosted a blitz. All the missionaries in the district came to Roosendaal and we put them all to work knocking in several areas.
Recieved a beautiful pair of brown no-lace shoes with special nike air soles. They were found in the Breda apartment under a bed (somehow I had never found them). They look really nice and are super comfortable.
We will hopefully be watching the first half of conference will two investigators at their houses, and the rest at the Murtons. Temple conference is coming up, and transfer calls are this saturday.
I know there was some joke, some funny reoccuring experience that I wanted to tell you about, but I don't remember it! I'll have to write it down next time I remember it.
Love, Ammon











No comments:
Post a Comment