Monday, May 16, 2016

Knocking and knocking!








This week we spent a lot of time knocking doors. We've been doing a lot of door knocking this transfer. We contacted a member referral (The first I've ever gotten), she was a really positive Christian lady. We're going to visit her and her husband tomorrow after Zone Training, as well as a couple other appointments we made.
Yesterday was nice, there was a linger longer potluck lunch after church, afterwards we knocked doors until dinner at 8. It was good, we met a guy who seemed a little rough around the edges, but he has a nice little family and a lot of questions. He gave us ten minutes and we had a good discussion. The best approach we have is just to ask people if we can come in a share a short message that will strengthen their faith in Christ and just be confident and friendly. If they're open to the spirit, they'll just let us in. A lot of the converts here will say how initially they weren't really interested, but that for some reason, they kept on listening until they realized that they actually wanted to know if what we teach is true. So, to me that means that you really never know who will listen. Even if they're negative, just keep talking and trying to get a chance to teach them and find out what they're interested in as far as questions or spiritual needs. We just have to have faith and persistently do everything we can to reach out to each person that opens the door. There is a short cut, member referrals, but in the mean time, it's great to be out and give everyone a chance. I've thought about that a lot this week, about how anything is possible if we really want it. On a similar plane, that believing means doing. Faith without works is dead. If one believes in God's commandments, he will keep them. He will align himself with the will of God regardless of the results he sees from it.
That's cool that you got some dutch treats! I figured it out, Eindhoven is Elder Steele and Elder Drenth. He was in my group. My grey suit jacket I lost somehow on a trip to a zone training. The new suit is really nice, I just need to let the pants down a bit more. We have a few dinner appointments this week which is nice, plus a member is paying for us to go to a super fancy buffet for two hours, I'm sure excited for that! We're still making a lot of tortillas.
I'm also excited to get my packages tomorrow!
I also met an Italian lady this week that's really cool, she's talked to the missionaries a couple times and really wants to find out if the book of mormon can answer her unique and important concerns. She's been through a lot and I get the feeling that she has a lot of faith, especially by all the stories she told of severe disappointments she's met in her life, which she's irregardless powered through, and although she has a lot of reasons why she wants to give up on believing in the Christian concepts of God, if she can just hold out a little longer, I think she'll be very satisfied or more appropriately stunned at the bundle of light and truth that is the book of mormon. Seeing someone who's been through so much struggle to try to find out what is true and what she ought to do impresses me to be a lot more grateful for and more faithful in the truth I have access to in the church. We have the fullness of the gospel at our finger tips, as well as many other generous gifts of knowledge from God, all of which to help us to build a strong testimony and faith in the source of all love and power, Jesus Christ. I really hope she starts reading soon. So, I'm grateful for the inspiration I can receive daily through missionary work. I wonder why I'm so blessed!
Good luck with the plays and recitals and concerts! I'm sure they're getting bigger and better every time! I'm also glad that Luke had such good fishing luck.
Love, Ammon

No comments:

Post a Comment