Sunday, February 14, 2016

Den Haag Week Two



(Top - Studying hard with Elder Morey, Bottom - "gotta have hoop" in the den Haag apartment - Thanks Elder Morey for the photos )

So I'll answer mom's questions. The main difference so far in Den Haag is we don't work that much, or at least that's what it feels like. We don't have to do much proselyting because most of our time is spent in appointments and traveling between appointments. But hopefully our efficiency will increase, I don't know what to do about it because I don't know the area very well. The good news is we have four really good investigators, a couple of which should get baptized before too long, the other two don't have baptismal dates but so far they're seeming very prepared. It's crazy, we hardly have to do anything, they just know that the church is true and want to get baptized and be members. We didn't have hardly anyone like that in my four transfers in Zwolle. So, apparently people make progress when they're ready and the amount of effort the missionaries put in does not necessarily influence them , the Lord is the one that prepares his children and guides missionaries to them. Of course our efforts are still important, but conversion is the investigator's choice.
I still can't make a good statement on what the people are like here, actually because there are a variety. There are rich people who won't listen, Turkish, Muslim, and Arabic people who we've avoided so far (I want to get to know some though). Ladies in Burkas or at least head wraps are everywhere.
The schedule varies a lot, some days we've gone running with a less active member in the morning out on the beach and dunes (really cool) and those days we wake up at six. I can't do T25 because our floor is super creaky and thin and there's people living above and below. We're getting dinner appointments every night and there's a few activities throughout the week in the evenings.
There is one ward in den Haag. People from Delft come there too. Zoetermeer the city next door has it's own ward plus an English speaking ward (branch?) and the temple is there as well. The Zoetermeer building is the only building in the country that is built like most buildings back home. the den Haag building is really nice though. Yesterday in church we had three investigators. We should be able to average three or four, maybe more we'll see. I always feel like we could be doing more but it's much easier said than done. Talking to random people can be discouraging for some Elders because most people as soon as you say church or Christ or anything along those lines either get really uncomfortable or just walk away. The reputation of traditional "church", "faith', and "religion" is mostly corrupted and tainted into a variety of things that are was never meant to be but has become because of the nature of man. Church (by most people) is now, at the best, a quaint tradition or a vain striving by some to make sense of the situation people find themselves in. For others it's also viewed as an evil organization to control people, discriminate against nonbelievers, exalt it's adherents, and cause arguments. In other words, there are a lot of barriers for people to see through in order to choose to listen to us. But it's alright, the Lord provides a way for his children to come unto him. As missionaries it's our duty to have faith, do our best, and seek the Lord's help by doing things his way. It's hard for me to believe that I'm capable of doing these things, but I know I just need to work for a more correct understanding of what the Lord expects of me.
I'm learning a lot and don't have too much regret about my service so far, but I know that I have the potential to do more and more. Developing Charity is an important part of that. People tell us quite often how much our efforts mean to them, so that's comforting. I'm learning. I'm understanding the gospel a little more, it's pretty exciting. I'm definitely being rewarded plenty for my efforts and learning lots of very important lessons.
It's pretty cool having a bunch of other missionaries in the area. It can really increase growth. I'm having a good time. That thing that Bro McLaughlin did (doing a radio interview) sounds really cool, I think I'll probably get a similar opportunity at some point. I'm excited for what's ahead, I know that the Lord is capable of using us in various ways for his purposes, so if he needs something done, no matter how impossible it sounds, he'll make it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment