Monday, November 23, 2015

Syrian refugees and another trip to Belgium

Just got back from our zone Turkey bowl, pretty worn out! Thanks so much for all the things you sent, I'm waiting to put up the lights and tree until after thanksgiving. It's getting really cold, there was actually snow and hail yesterday! Didn't stick though. Had a pretty good week, nothing super special to report I guess, I'm having some good experiences though. We went down to brussels on Friday to get my Belgian residency card, didn't see anything unusual, athough a girl from our ward said that when she was there there was military and police everywhere. We took the mission van so we were probably able to avoid everything that way. I'm not worried, it's still very far off. The precautions that were sent out by president were just for missionaries in Belgium. 

We got 4 new investigators this week, two are a father and son that are refugees from Syria. I don't know if I mentioned it or if you've heard, but there are tens of thousands of refugees fleeing to western europe right now so it's a big topic here. Anyways, only the son knows some dutch. When we met them it felt like a miracle, they let us in and we shared some things, they lost their sister who was ten here, I'm not sure what happened to her but she died here. They say they're muslim but they seem very interested in having us back to teach them more, so that's great. The other new investigators are an old lady form serbia and a former investigator named Ramon. We've got lots of lessons lined up this week. Reymond dropped us, 

Don't have a lot of time this week, can't think of anything else to say either. I'm starting to get excited for where I'm going next, it could be anywhere! We had a really good zone training that I learned a lot from, it had to do with being more loving and real to everyone here to show them that we have a testimony of this church and of Christ and that we're not doing this because we have to or for any other reason except that we love them and have something to share. That includes comebacks which are questions we use when contacts try to tell us they aren't interested. It's a skill and very important to keep talking to people and showing them that we aren't here to tell them what they should believe but that we're dynamic people with a message to share with everyone. We can't just take 'no I'm not interested' or I already go to a church for an answer, we have to give them another chance to get to know us or let us get to know them. All things to work on. There's so much going on in missionary life it's hard to get it all right all the time, just gotta keeping moving forward with faith.

Love Elder Knaupp

No comments:

Post a Comment