Monday, November 16, 2015

New companion and a visit from the Bradleys!



Elder Knaupp and Elder Wright (from Wisconsin)

District Zwolle (before transfers)

Familie Spijkerman members in Zwolle


 "Sinterklaas" brings chocolate initials in his pack on December 5

 Elder Knaupp and Zuster Bradley
 President Bradley, Elder Wright and Elder Knaupp

 Zwolle centrum with the Bradleys

Zwolle waterway with Pres. Bradley

So we had some really low numbers this week because of transfers and things, but we worked pretty hard. Elder Wright is a very nice guy, he makes a very apparent effort to be agreeable and friendly, he always answers anything you say with, yeah that's true or I think so too. He's a good Elder, we taught a lesson to J. and it went really well considering, but it seems that he might actually want to learn because he's having us over regularly despite his busy school life! Elder Wright said some things that I hope really got to him, he just shared some experiences that I think J. might relate to and hopefully that will help J. see that the church might be something he should be interested in. Elder Isaksen and I visited L. the night before he left. We had a good talk, L. really wants her daughter to get baptized and get more bible in her life. Hopefully we can help her gain an actual testimony so that she gets baptized for the right reasons. L. is still working a lot and doesn't think she has time for appointments, but this week we're just going to call and visit them and at least teach her daughter D.. Our other investigators are really hard to get a hold of so this week Elder Wright and I are going to focus on finding and getting some people that will let us come over more often. People are just so closed, they say and think they're open but they won't listen to you, they think they already know what we are. We need maybe some better approaches, but mostly we just need to find people that want to be taught, people that don't think they already know everything they need to know. 

It's getting a bit more stormy here but I don't mind. This transfer is only 5 weeks because they need to get synced up with the MTC.

I think Elder Wright and I will work hard together and learn a lot. He wants a lot of the things I want and is willing to work hard and long. The Bradleys left an hour ago or so, it was super cool, we walked around the centrum and had lunch and talked. It was great to be with them they're really funny interesting, real people. They're also americans, so that was nice. 

So I don't see the big deal about sinter klaas. He travels up from Spain on a horse or something and his chimney soot-black Pieten (Like elves but they're called "petes') deliver candy and stuff. It's not super interesting to me. Too much else to think about. But we'll spend it with members so I'll tell you what happens. (Geesh Elder Knaupp maybe Sinterklaas won't put treats in your shoes with that attitude ;)

So something pretty cool happened in church, this 17 year old girl who just came back from a year long exchange in Ogden Utah came to church with an RM that served there from Den Haag. I talked to her a bit, she sounds more american than dutch, it's interesting. Hopefully she comes back next week, she apparently learned a lot about the church back in the states, I didn't quite know here situation in church though, otherwise I would've tried to get her address or something. J. didn't come though, apparently his parents don't want him to, which is really a bummer, they saw this stupid documentary about mormon missionaries or something. He was really interested, hopefully this just slows things down with him instead of stopping it. Anyways, much more work to do here.

Love, Elder Knaupp

No comments:

Post a Comment