Monday, October 12, 2015

Fall in Zwolle and Progressing Investigators

Image result for fall in zwolle netherlands


So I'll start out with what today has been like. This morning I finally got out of bed at 7:20 which I was pretty disappointed in myself about but got busy organizing my desk so that was good. Last Friday our neighbor above us came down and basically told us we can't do T-25 (Insanity) in the morning anymore because we make too much noise jumping and stuff. (Afgelopen vrijdag kwam onze buurtvrouw van boven en in principe ons verteldt dat wij mogen T-25 niet doen omdat zij ervan wakker wordt is how I might have said that in dutch) It's really too bad, I love doing it, it's really really hard but feels so good, there's different workouts everyday and it works everything so well and fits perfectly into our morning routine because it's 25 minutes. So that's too bad, we'll have to figure something out because I really want to keep doing it. Anyways, I finished accounting for my personal and MSF funds, basically making sure that I'm spending my personal money only on the things MSF isn't intended for like clothes and other supplies. We headed out to do our grocery shopping at 8, and go back around 9. We both carry a big bag of groceries home, everyone uses bigger re-useable bags here. Also the only people that wear helmets are serious racing bike kinda people. I had some oatmeal when we got home. We didn't have a whole lot of time this morning because we had an appointment with an investigator this morning at 12 and she lives on the other side of town which is a little over a 30 minute bike ride. She and her daughter are getting baptized on dec 12 at the latest, the mom read all the way to Alma 49 in less than a week! She's loving it. This is the first time we've had an appointment before 6 on a P-day, we did it for her. She's got 4 kids and lives with a muslim man. I'm pretty sure we're teaching law of chastity next lesson or the one after, I think she'll be ready and we'll see what she decides to do about it! Anyways, before we left to her place we had to pack for tomorrow's temple conference, we're going to Haarlem tonight after a dinner appointment with a nice family in the ward and later an appointment with an investigator who's also working towards getting baptized. He's a cool story, we hadn't been able to find him for 4 or 5 weeks until last week when we ran into in on his bike (not literally) and the first thing he said was "When am I getting baptized?". I was surprised because I thought he just wasn't really interested in the church, but he say's he's been reading the book of mormon every day for all this time like we asked him. He's kind of slow but of course he's a nice guy. Anyways, after we meet with him tonight we're going straight to the station to go to Haarlem to spend the night so we can get to our temple session early tomorrow morning. Haarlem is where they filmed the best two years. I heard they were only in Holland for 3 days to film the rest was back in the states. 

We're finally going to get some winter gear today, we've spent quite some time looking for the best investments and now we just need to make a decision. It's been super cold the past few mornings, no clouds but still pretty humid so the air feels almost like freezing water. It bites. It's looking a lot like fall though! The trees are turning color and there're lots of acorns and chestnuts (Kastanjes) on the ground. Apparently they do celebrate Halloween here so that could be cool maybe.

We have ten lessons already planned for this week which is really good! We will be able to arrange more during the week too, hopefully some first lessons, we haven't had one of those in a while. We visited almost all the less actives in Zwolle this week (or at least visited their address). 

I'm afraid I won't be able to send any pictures this time because I accidentally dropped off my camera at the house of the member that we're eating with along with the rest of my stuff. But I'll try to start taking more especially at the temple. I cut my hair the other night so it's pretty short but looks fine, I need to learn a bit more about other ways of cutting hair though.

I loved hearing about all the fall activities and things! I was telling my companion yesterday about our cold pressed apple juice, I need to find some here!

This sunday was fast sunday and we had three investigators in church, we were hoping on 5 though. Hopefully next week. The meeting schedule here is reversed and the average attendance is around 65. There's lots of kids so sacrament is pretty loud. There are a lot of really great members, my favorite is probably the bishop, he's quite young. It's hard to descibe dutch people, they're somewhat varied of course and they're just hard to really define in what way they are different. I suppose they're a bit more classy and smart sometimes, but it's really hard for me at least to draw a line and spot their differences from us. There's also an institute class now and the teacher is really good, Sister Van Andel. She and her husband are a young family (Which often doesn't mean the parents are super young, they seem to not get married earlier than 25ish in the church even, probably because of the scarcity of members). They both served in France and know dutch French and english fluently. The bishop also uses english a lot and is very good at it. Being good at english just opens up a lot more doors I guess, it's also very good for church members. 

I'm singing in a small group tomorrow at temple conference and got to accompany some elders last zone training, so that's pretty fun. 

Love,
Elder Ammon Knaupp

No comments:

Post a Comment