Brussels Centrum
This week was definitely very busy, but not with usual missionary work. We had two exchanges and a trip to Brussels to get my Belgian papers. We didn't have as much time as we wanted to teach lessons or contact people, but it was still good. We set two baptismal dates with a mother and her daughter that are really promising. It was a really great lesson, it was probably the third or fourth lesson with her and we taught about baptism and the gift of the holy ghost (in english, luckily). Lilian (the mom) has really been felt the difference between us and the other church she's been associating with and her thirteen year old daughter does too and after hearing more about why we baptize and who has the authority, they are excited to get baptized themselves. We also met a few potentials, a girl and a couple guys who we contacted and gave us their addresses and said that we could come visit. We get quite a few potentials around here, I haven't been here long enough though to see how they turn out though. It's often really slow getting appointments and such, but we usually find one or two people a day that are willing to have conversations with us about their beliefs and we're able to teach them a lot. So lots of potentials coming up, I'm excited to see if they are ready to hear more yet.
I am adjusting to missionary life very easily, the only difficulty I find is getting myself to really give everything all I have and prioritize and be efficient and prepared. The morning routine is still tricky, but I'm planning on really making it perfect this week meaning that I wake up and get out of bed right at 6:30, get exercizing (usually running), eat breakfast, shower, get ready, and start studying right at 8. It's a battle against myself. I always want to do more and be better, but it's really hard to do everything just right and on time and prepare for a bunch of things. I have to develop more dicipline but the results I know will be wonderful and I know the Lord will help me if I rely on Him and do things for my investigators. So yes, always adjusting. So much to learn, but things work fine since you have a trainer to help you. So much to do, but I can see more and more of the amazing potentials I have before me for self development.
Also from discussions with all sorts of people, I'm realizing I want to really widen my perspective and understanding of what the gospel really means for all of God's children with all of their different experiences and perspectives. I want to be able to explain the gospel in a way that it can appeal to people who are closed to the traditional view of religion. There are so many different types of people here and a lot of them are convinced that from what they've experienced or observed that religion and Jesus Chirst are not for them. They won't respond positively at first with the typical, direct missionary approach. But if I can bring it to them from a different angle that they haven't already closed themselves to, then maybe I can help them see it really is what they want. The gospel is the best way for everyone, we just have to help people see that by showing them that we are normal people just like them who have found so much joy in the gospel. They have misconceptions that take all sorts of different approaches to sort out. However, I know that in the end, the spirit is really what will to the convincing, and that is where my main focus must be, to learn to follow and invite the spirit. I must not forget that the fruits of the spirit are the key to success. I have seen that describing the gospel to people clearly on my own is near impossible. I need to obtain understanding of my own from the spirit through study and prayer, and then will I be prepared to follow the guidance of the spirit. I am looking forward to having more stronger experiences with teaching by the Spirit and the effects it can have on people. I suppose that's the thing about the teachings of the gospel, you recieve no witness until after the trail of your faith. So I've got a lot to work on.
I have a lot of good ideas, but I need most of all to become a DOer. I have to develop discipline and constantly obtain motivation in order to push through the mental barriers of my fear, hesitation, lazyness and faithlessness. I think these barriers that cause inaction all come down to fear, which must be remedied with faith which produces hope. I love the gospel and it is meaning more and more to me as I involve it more and more into my life. I'm learning so much about myself and what I my potential is. We've been listening Truman D. Madsen's lectures on the life, teachings and character of the prophet Joseph Smith. He was truly a man who's abilities, knowledge, faith, and power beyond are beyond comprehesion! What an anstonishing example of what the Lord can do to someone who has complete faith in Him. The gospel truly is infinitely important and wonderous.
Love, Elder Knaupp

No comments:
Post a Comment